A sweet treat to be served with your favorite dessert sauce, vanilla ice cream, or just on its own. Using our Unbaked Tortillas is easier than making your dough from scratch. In fact, any of our flour tortillas will work well with this recipe. How's that for easy peasy?
1 package of Sol de Oro Unbaked Tortillas
Vegetable Oil (enough to fill 1-2 inches high in a frying pan)
½ cup Sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Piloncillo Syrup
2 cups of water
1 piloncillo stick, roughly chopped into cubes
1 stick of cinnamon
3 star anise
Orange peel from one large orange
1. Place 1 cup of water and the piloncillo in a medium-size saucepan.
2. Heat over medium-high heat until the piloncillo dissolves and it looks like liquid caramel.
3. Carefully add the rest of the water, cinnamon stick, anise, and orange peel to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Cook for about 6 minutes, stir and boil for 4 more minutes.
5. Set aside to cool and use as a topping for the buñuelos.
1. Prepare Cinnamon Sugar by combining the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Fry the SOL DE ORO UNBAKED TORTILLAS, one at a time, in very hot (350-375℉) oil until they are golden and crispy.
3. Fry for about 1-2 minutes until the bottom is crisp and golden. Flip and continue to fry the other side until golden. You'll know it's done when both sides are equally crispy and golden.
4. Place the buñuelos on a plate covered with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
5. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot.
6. Serve warm with a cup of piloncillo syrup on the side for dipping or you can pour the piloncillo syrup over the top.
7. Enjoy with coffee, milk or anything you want!