The Holidays are a time for tradition and celebration. Why not gather family and friends to prepare a dish that has held such high regard in the Hispanic community? That’s right, get together, laugh, talk, celebrate and make some tamales! The end result is a delicious, meat filled dough that you can enjoy for any meal.
- 5 lbs. La Tapatia Masa (corn Dough)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 oz. Vegetable oil or vegetable shortening
- OR 1 lb. Lard
Meat & Mole
- 3 lbs. boneless pork or beef meat
- 4 oz. California or Pasilla chili pods
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 bag corn husks (8 oz.)
- Mix La Tapatia masa, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Blend oil or shortening and pour into masa mixture a little at a time.
- Mix for about 15 to 20 minutes making sure the masa is well blended.
Meat & Mole
- Place meat in a large pot with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1½ hours.
- While meat is cooking, remove stem and seeds from chili pods.
- Toast lightly in ¼ cup of oil in nonstick pan.
- Place chili in blender, add water and blend until smooth. (Optional: Canned mole may be used in place of steps 2-4)
- Cut meat into small pieces. Cook with remaining ¼ cup of oil until browned.
- Add chili mixture and salt to pot of meat. Cook for seven minutes. (For best results: prepare mole/meat mixture the night before. This allows the mole to coagulate for easier preparation.)
- Soak corn husks for a few minutes and rinse well.
To assemble tamales:
- Arrange ingredients in an assembly line as follows: corn husks, masa mixture, meat/mole mixture.
- Spread masa evenly over husks. (Note: masa should be spread on inner/smooth side of husk with the widest part of the husk at the top)
- Place a rounded tablespoon of meat/mole mixture in center of tamale.
- Fold left side of husk over meat mixture, then fold right side of husk over the center to create a “closed” tamale.
- Fold bottom “tail” of corn husk up and behind the tamale and set aside.
- Continue preparing tamales until ingredients are used up.
To cook tamales:
Arrange prepared tamales in a steamer so that they are “standing” with open end up. Cover with a cloth and steamer top. Steam tamales for approximately 60 - 90 minutes or until masa is firm.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen Tamales.